Re-read challenge The Bride Finder

9/30/2009 06:28:00 AM / Posted by Kris /

The Bride FinderThe Bride Finder (Book 1) by Susan Carroll
Chosen by the Bride Finder, a man blessed with amazing insight, Madeline Breton has come to Cornwall to meet her new husband, the enigmatic Anatole St. Leger. But her dream of happiness soon diffuses in his overpowering shadow. Anatole knows only too well the legacies that to him have been more curses than gifts. But as Madeline embarks on an odyssey both otherworldly and undeniably real, she and her husband fall hopelessly in love--until she sees a haunting vision of murder and a terrifying enemy emerges to threaten both their lives. . . .

I saw this book on my shelf (mine is the old cover) and it has been one that I have been wanting ot re-read for a while so I grabbed it before I could change my mind. I have only read this book once and it was about 5 years ago. But I kept it for a reason and could not remember why until I read it again. This book brought tears to my eyes at least once. I think I am just that sappy but it did. Them both trying so hard in their own way to make things work and it missing over and over for a while was hard to watch. But reading about how his mother treated him and how he was raised made me cry. Anatole was a great tortured hero. Madeline, of course, was a perfect foil for him.
Anatole's family has psychic powers passed on to them by a sorcerous ancestor. Anatole's gifts (or curse as he sees it) are to see glimpses of hte future but he always ends up seing bad things and cannot change them no matter how he tries, and telekenesis, moving things with his mind. but within his family there are many legends and one of those says that St. Legers can only marry the woman chosen for them by The Bride Finder. If they marry someone else then disaster will occur for them. Anatole reluctantly sends the bridefinder out to find his bride for him, but gives the finder a list of attributes he wants in a woman thinking to pick someone he could live with but not fall in love with. the Finder comes back with a very disillusioned madeline who is not at all what he had in mind for a wife. But then he is definitely not what she had in mind either.
This was written in 1999 and in some ways shows that but not too much, I thought it was a great book and am glad that I finally re-read it. There are two more books about the St. Legers. the next one is Night-drifter and then Midnight Bride. I have Night-drifer and plan to re-read that one too.

Labels: , ,

7 comments:

Comment by Amy C on 9/30/2009 10:21 AM

Oh, this is one of my favorite historicals. I love Anatole and Madeline. I actually love that Anatole isn't some overly gifted man when it comes to the "bedroom". Too often a man with little or no experience seems to be a most splendid lover! But in this one it was realistic, you know, considering he was such a recluse.

I also reread this one when I was still participating in the challenge. I think it was January maybe.

Comment by Maija on 9/30/2009 3:57 PM

Yep, this was a very good historical. I should reread it too!

Comment by Kris on 9/30/2009 7:48 PM

Amy - That was great how they fumbled some, i loved it, it made them more real. i will check out your review :)

Maija- it was a fun re-read

Comment by nath on 9/30/2009 9:01 PM

I keep getting confused, because I know I read one of her books... and it had to do with the bride finder... but I think the one I read was about the son with the damaged leg.

Ah well, I need to read this author! Thanks for the review, Kris!

Comment by Kris on 10/01/2009 8:09 PM

Val (or Valentine)'s book was Midnight Bride, he was the one with the bad leg.
Night Drifter was Val's twin, Lance

Comment by Tracy on 10/02/2009 2:57 AM

Ok after reading what you wrote and what Amy wrote I think I need to read this one again because it certainly didn't hit me as all that great when I read it the first time. Maybe I was in a strange mood? IDK. But to hear Amy say it's one of her fav historicals? Wow - I need to re-read. Thanks for the review!

Comment by Marg on 10/02/2009 6:04 AM

I read this book a couple of years ago and really enjoyed it! I loved how it was all gothicky and Victorian, and with a touch of paranormal. I have enjoyed most books I have read from this author so far. My only problem her is that you have no idea of what she is working on now, or anything like that because of her lack of website etc.

Post a Comment