The Darkest Hour

9/13/2010 04:07:00 AM / Posted by Kris /


Wow I started off the month with two awesome reads. This one and Water Bound by Christine Feehan. I hope the month continues to be this good bookwise.


The Darkest Hour (KGI Book 1) by Maya Banks

It’s been one year since ex-Navy SEAL Ethan Kelly last saw his wife Rachel alive. Overwhelmed by grief and guilt over his failures as a husband, Ethan shuts himself off from everything and everyone.His brothers have tried to bring Ethan into the KGI fold, tried to break through the barriers he's built around himself, but Ethan refuses to respond… until he receives anonymous information claiming Rachel is alive.To save her, Ethan will have to dodge bullets, cross a jungle, and risk falling captive to a deadly drug cartel that threatens his own demise. And even if he succeeds, he’ll have to force Rachel to recover memories she can’t and doesn’t want to relive—the minute by minute terror of her darkest hour—for their love, and their lives, may depend on it.

This is Ms Banks first MM release. I love her writing style and have many of her other books already so she is an autoread for me. This book sucked me in and would not let me go. I LOVED the storyline. Because this is Ms Banks who writes some erotic books I was expecting lots of love scenes even though I knew this was not an erotic release. But no, the ones that were there were hot but they were minimal. This was not a bad thing just unexpected. I loved watching these two try to build their relationship back and learn each other all over again.

The book starts out with Ethan facing the one year anniversary of his wife's death. He receives a package in the mail that day with photos and information that his wife is not dead but being held prisoner in the jungles of Columbia. Lucky for him, he is in a military family with three of his brothers running a company that does work like that, usually for the government when they cannot technically be there. They are suitably upset and plan a op to get her back. They find her and she is not in good shape, her captors have hooked her on drugs to help control her and because of her trauma she has no memory of her life before her imprisonment. That is just the first quarter of the book. The rest is her fight to get clean and get her memories back and deal with the trauma that she has endured. it is also Ethan's fight to find the balance he needs to help her get healthy again, body and soul. But he also has a secret that he is terrified that Rachel will remember.
A secondary storyline is Ethan's parents have taken in a teenager they caught trying to steal food from their house. Rusty's mom has abandoned her and her mom's boyfriend does not want her either. So watching how the family interacts with her and her reaction to it is very interesting. She accepts Mom's invitation to stay but then when Rachel returns she feels her new place in the family is threatened.
Awesome story!!!!!!! I was so engrossed in this book, I could not put it down.

Labels: , , ,

3 comments:

Comment by nath on 9/15/2010 10:50 PM

Hey Kris!!! I'm so glad you've just reviewed this book! I heard from Tabitha and Ames both that they enjoyed this one a lot :) I think I have to get it now :) Woohoo!! Something to buy :)

Comment by Holly on 9/22/2010 2:16 PM

I loved Water Bound. Are you going to review it?

Comment by Kris on 9/22/2010 5:01 PM

It is great Nath, i think you would like it.

Holly, that is my plan just have not gotten to it yet. :)

Post a Comment