The Song and Grimspace

3/17/2008 03:54:00 AM / Posted by Kris /

Well, eventful weekend here. My oldest turned 6 so we had her birthday party at our house. The day was beautiful temp wise. But it was windy as all get out. We had to get packing tape to tape the tablecloths down to the tables. Scotch tape was not doing it. We alternated in and out of the house, because the candles would not have survived outside. And unwrapping presents would have been interesting. The kids had a blast though.
The pregnancy is going well. I will try to post a sonagram pic this week. But they say it looks like a girl. My husband is a little overwhelmed by the thought of three girls. He is excited just a little tired at the thought of doing this all over again now that the youngest is potty trained and eating correctly and all that stuff. He is stressed out about work. The place where he was working is closing so he has been helping with packing up all the inventory and it is just sad. So that is not helping his stress level. Prayers please for him.



The Song (The Sons of Destiny, Book 4)
The Song (Sons of Destiny Book 4) by Jean Johnson
Evanor lost his powers-and his voice-in a terrible battle that defeated his family's greatest enemy and gave his sister-in-law her freedom. The advanced magical healing that would restore his voice and powers is beyond their means-but not beyond the ability of the lovely healer Mariel. Mariel can restore what was torn from Evanor-and possibly repair her own broken heart in the process.

I am really enjoying this series. It is a light fantasy romance. It is not high fantasy with some romance. Rather romance with a fantasy setting. It must be read in order because the books build upon one another. I just recently found out that the first book (The Sword) was just release in mass-market size.



Grimspace
Grimspace by Anne Aguirre
As the carrier of a rare gene, Sirantha Jax has the ability to jump ships through grimspace-a talent which makes her a highly prized navigator for the Corp. Then a crash landing kills everyone on board, leaving Jax in a jail cell with no memory of the crash. But her fun's not over. A group of rogue fighters frees her...for a price: her help in overthrowing the established order.

This was a cool book. It was a good sci-fi book with some nice romance in it. I real enjoyed it. If you liked Linnea Sinclair's books (Gabriel's Ghost and Finders Keepers) then you will love this one. The world that she has created was very cool. The characters are a nice variety. The hero, March, is a nice tortured hero role. And Jax is a nice combination of strength and vulnerability. This is her first book and it was great, I look forward to reading more of her books.

Labels: , ,

5 comments:

Comment by Kristie (J) on 3/17/2008 10:52 PM

Aha! In a symptom of the insanity that is buying romance books, I just got notice about an hour ago that The Song is being sent to my from Chapters. This is the fourth one I've got in the series - and I haven't read a one yet! I'm glad that when I do start reading them - they will be good *g8

Comment by Stacy~ on 3/18/2008 7:04 AM

I just bought Grimspace, and now I'm really looking forward to it. I'm glad it has romance in it too. I wasn't sure.

Comment by Bev(QB) on 3/18/2008 8:32 AM

I like Jean Johnson's series and find myself eagerly looking forward to each one. Like you said, not heavyweight fantasy just fantasy romance. But I like 'em.

Good luck to your hubby. I can't tell you how many companies I've worked for that closed and it is not a fun thing to go through.

Comment by nath on 3/18/2008 8:50 AM

Great to hear that you're doing well :) Poor hubby, LOL, being overwhelmed :P It's hard to be the lone male of the family :P

Now, I'm going to have to read Grimspace. I'm glad you enjoyed it :P

Comment by Kris on 3/19/2008 8:06 AM

Kristie, they are a fun fantasy read. Let me know what you think.

stacy, It does have romance in it. I am hard pressed to say whether it is a sci-fi book with romance or a romance book with a sci-fi setting. I think it is a good combination of the two.

qb, Thanks for the luck. This is his first and he is good friends with the owner, so it is hard.

nath, yeah, he is a little overwhelmed. But he is excited. He has always gotten along better with girls anyway. I do not hink he would know what to do if we had a Boy into sports and everything because my hubby is more of a computer geek. a cute one, but not into sports at all.

Post a Comment