Windswept

7/07/2008 01:07:00 PM / Posted by Kris /

Well, I've got three days left till the baby!! Our house is currently in a shambles because Hubby decided that he needed to organize the garage before the baby comes. So my entire garage is in my house while he builds shelves in the garage in his spare time. Hopefully he finishes today. But on a brighter note with that it has meant that I have not had to cook for a few days and we had to eat out because I could not get in my kitchen. I have rearranged some things and thrown out alot so I can finally get in my kitchen today. But wish me luck with the rest. I hope to post again before Thursday but if I do not I will post pics of the baby as soon as I can. Have a great week.


WindsweptWindswept by Ann Macela

A terrible secret lurks in the papers of the Windswept Plantation, and its revelation will ruin the Jamison family name. To Barrett Browning, however, the collection of correspondence, ledgers, and journals is a treasure trove of potential publications sure to gain her a valuable promotion at her university. As a historian, her job is to root out secrets from the past and hold them up to the light, no matter the cost. The farthest thing from her mind is getting involved with the papers' owner. To venture capitalist Davis Jamison, the pile of boxes is a headache he must deal with to protect the family. What better way to solve the mystery than to have an expert inventory the papers in his own house? He expects neither his cousin's frantic obsession to keep all the family sins hidden, nor the fierce need he comes to feel for Barrett. He's sworn never again to trust a woman with his property or his heart. Can he rely on Barrett to guard them both? As the dark past—a tale of deception and murder—emerges, Davis's question becomes harder and harder to answer.

I had put this off for a long time because I was not in the mood for a fantasy. But never judge a book by its cover. This is a contemporary book. Windswept is the name of a plantation in Louisiana and the heroine is hired to organize all the papers about it and in return can us the information to write articles and or books about the contents. Interspersed in the story is entries from the journal of the original mistress of Windswept.
I really enjoyed reading this book. The only thing that annoyed me was the aunt and cousin freaking out about family secrets. I could care less except interest about what happened in my family 150 years ago. So that is something that I did not understand. The author reminds us toward the end that the aunt was raised in a different generation where they were very particular about skeletons in your family closet. And they are and influential family and their status is very important to them.
I thought this book was well written and the characters were intriguing. The romance between Davis and Barrett was fun to watch. Yes, she does have a strange name but it is because her parents named her Elizabeth Barrett Browning (after the author) so she goes by her middle name of Barrett.

Labels:

5 comments:

Comment by Jill D. on 7/07/2008 2:24 PM

Kris, How exciting, with your little one's arrival just around the corner. I will keep you and your family in my thoughts and prayers.

Comment by Jenster on 7/07/2008 3:28 PM

Kris! That's so exciting!! You guys are in my prayers and I can't wait to hear more about the baby!!

Comment by Stacy~ on 7/07/2008 11:13 PM

Kris! Oh wow, I didn't realize it was so close already. I'll be thinking of your and your family this week, and sending lots of prayers. Here's to a quick and smooth delivery.

Comment by nath on 7/08/2008 8:43 AM

Yay!! Only 2 days away!! I can't wait to see the pics :) LOL!

and the book sounds good :D I'll be putting it on my wishlist :D

Comment by Christine on 7/09/2008 4:36 PM

Aww, your husband's cleaning the garage for the new baby? He must really want to make a good impression! ;o) Best wishes!!! Can't wait to hear more news! And pictures!!! xoxo

Post a Comment