Paranormal Lightning Reviews for June

7/01/2008 10:57:00 AM / Posted by Kris /

Through the Veil (Berkley Sensation)Through the Veil by Shiloh Walker

Found wandering in a field as a child, Lee Ross was given a name by the state and placed in a foster home–without anyone realizing she wasn’t entirely human. All her life, she’s tried to dismiss the odd dreams that have plagued her, dreams of monsters creeping through the night and a man, fighting demons by her side. But the bruises she wakes up with are all too real to ignore. Then the man from dreams appears in the flesh. His name is Kalen and he insists that her destiny lies in his world, the world of her dreams. To save their people, he must convince Lee to give everything she knows, follow her heart and cross into the Under Realm, even though once she does, she’ll never be able to return.

I enjoyed this one but it was a little hard to get into. I want to re-read it later to see if I like it more. It is an interesting world. I would classify this one more as fantasy/sci-fi romance than paranormal romance because it is an alternate world.



Nightkeepers (Novels of the Final Prophecy, Book 1)
Nightkeepers (Novels of the Final Prophesy Book 1) by Jessica Andersen
As a Miami narcotics detective, Leah Daniels never knows how her day will turn out. But she certainly never expected to be strapped to a stone altar, the human sacrifice in an ancient Mayan ritual meant to coax up a demon from the underworld. Or that she’d be saved by a handsome warrior-priest king who claims to recognize her from his visions... Jaguar Strike wishes he hadn’t made the mistake of reuniting his fellow warrior priests, or broken the law by saving their chosen human sacrifice. Now, he has no choice but to join forces with Leah and invoke dangerous magic in a death-defying race against the end of time.

I really liked this one. It was a good paced read, with good romance. I am anxious fro the next book just because there were so many other things going on in the background between the other characters that you never got to see and that was frustrating. It is a very interesting concept. I recommend this book if you have not read it yet.



Walk on the Wild Side (The Others, Book 5)Walk on the Wild Side (The Others Book 5) by Christine Warren

Kitty Sugarman is a lot tougher than her name implies. Still, she’s content with how her small- town life keeps her removed from all the changes happening in the world—like the Unveiling of the Others. That is, until a near-tragedy strikes and Kitty discovers she has abilities . . .thanks to a father she never knew was alive. He also happens to be a were-lion and leader of one of the most powerful Prides out West.
WALK ON THE WILD SIDE
When Kitty heads to Vegas to find out more about her father, it’s his sexy, seductive second-in-command or baas of the Pride, Marcus Stewart, who commands her attention. Now that she has tempted Marcus’s hunger for a mate, Kitty finds herself stuck in a vicious struggle for her father’s fortune, while deadly unrest stirs within the pride. Kitty’s rivals won’t rest until she’s gone for good, but Marcus will fight until his last breath to save her…even if it means going against the pride.

This one was pretty good but not my fav of the series. It occurs about one year after the Unveiling. To me it reads almost like an anthology story or a novella. Or maybe it just seemed to go by really quickly. This story though takes place sort of out of the storyline of the rest of the series. So if this one is read out of order it does not make a big difference.


The Agency 3: Monkeying Around (e-book from Changeling Press) by Michelle Hasker
Posing as lovers shouldn’t be too hard. Not for Jessica and Chase. Fooling around during their training mission had landed them in this mess when they couldn’t keep their hands off each other. Now they need to redeem themselves by gaining the trust of one of the country’s greatest criminals. But with Erik Hardaway’s suspicion of Jessica and Chase’s relationship, his questions about their reasons for visiting his mansion, and Erik’s obvious desire for Jessica, getting out of this situation alive and unscathed will be their biggest challenge ever.

This was an e-book that I won. It is very short, so I guess it is actually an e-novella or quickie (don't know the actual word count difference). This is part of a series that has to do with this Agency that they all work for. She is a shape-shifter (turns into a monkey, that was different, had not read one of those before). But her boss is the only one who knows about her ability.


Real Vampires Have Curves (Glory St. Claire, Book 1)
Real Vampires have Curves (Glory St. Claire Book 1) by Gerry Bartlett
What-did you think all vamps were pale, thin and brooding? Don't I wish. Gloriana St. Clair is an eternally "full-figured" vampire-she just happened to be bloating when a sexy Scotsman sank his teeth into her. She and said Scot-Angus Jeremiah Campbell III, aka Jeremy Blade-have been on and off again for centuries, currently off. A couple hundred years has taught them how to press each other's buttons-in good ways and bad. Glory's headed for Austin and a new business venture: Vintage Vamp's Emporium. After all, she loves clothes, and she is an antique. Only problem is, there's a billionaire techno-freak vampire hunter on the loose. Blade's in total he-vampire mode, and wants Glory to move in with him so he can "protect" her. But it's time for this vamp to explore her own powers.

This was a fun chick lit vampire book. Watching the relationship between Glory and Jerry was fun. He is trying to take care of a woman who does not want to be taken care of. But when you are dealing with a highlander who is a millenia old, he is kind of set in his ways. Fun book. The htird on just came out not too long ago. This is the first book, the second is Real Vampires Live Large and the third is Real Vampires Get Lucky.

Labels: , , , ,

6 comments:

Comment by Christine on 7/01/2008 12:59 PM

Awesome quickie reviews, Kris! I think I'll try to read Nightkeeper soon. I have so many books on the TBR, I'm actually overwhelmed at what to read next. I need to sit down and make a plan! lol

Comment by Jill D. on 7/01/2008 2:20 PM

Real Vampires have Curves sounds interesting and fun. What author would you say has a similar writing style to Gerry Bartlett?

I have the book Nightkeepers in the TBR pile. I haven't started it yet and I am not sure why. I am glad to hear that you liked it. I have heard similar opinions elsewhere on the web. I feel like Christine right now too. I have so much to choose from I am not sure what I should read next.

Comment by nath on 7/01/2008 10:56 PM

Glad you enjoyed the Nightkeepers!! :) I just couldn't get into Through the Veil...

Comment by Isabel on 7/01/2008 11:31 PM

I keep hearing good things about Nightkeepers. I'll have to break down and buy it. Real Vampires have curves sounds cute!

Comment by Stacy~ on 7/02/2008 6:51 AM

I don't know why I read your reviews when they only make me want to buy more books LOL. I'm still trying to be good and work on my tbr pile, and of course I already have a long tbb list. Sigh. Oh well, you can never have enough books :)

Comment by Kris on 7/02/2008 10:02 AM

Christine - thanks. I understand completely, I have a huge stack of books and always agonize over what to read next (unless it is something i have been waiting for from the library or something)

jill - It was fun, I would say similar to Erin McCarthy's vampire books. If you have read her Vegas Vamps and liked them then you would like this one.

nath - I did enjoy Nightkeepers, and I very much understand your difficulty in getting into Through the Veil.

isabel - thanks for coming, they were both fun to read.

stacy - LOL, I feel the same way about yours and others too :) I am zooming through books at the moment because I am off for the summer and have some extra time. You can never have too many books to read. :P

Post a Comment