Mermaid's Kiss

12/29/2008 03:45:00 PM / Posted by Kris /

Mermaid's Kiss by Joey W. Hill
The angelic Jonah has been battling the Dark Ones for centuries. But his noble spirit has begun to tire with the weight of war—allowing a Dark One to strike a blow that severs his wings and knocks him into the sea.
Anna is a Daughter of Arianne—a direct descendant of the mermaid of legend. Anna’s longing for love compels her to risk her very life to protect and hide the fallen Jonah. And the longer Jonah delays his return to the heavens, the more Anna’s secret passions are tempted.
But as she falls more in love with him, Anna wonders if she’s destined to lose her heart and her dreams to save Jonah’s soul…

I won a copy of this book and was very excited. It was a different paranormal than your typical werewolf/vampire/cat-shifter book. This one had a mermaid for a heroine and an angel for a hero. It made me think of a line I heard once in a movie (I looked it up and it was Ever After) "A bird may love a fish, but where would they live?". Well since this is fiction it was a lot easier to answer that question, make her be able to shift to human.
This was a difficult book to label, it was not really "cute" but it was not dark either. It was a quest for these two soulmates to help him regain his sense of self and goodness.
The ending was great, very tough, but you still get an HEA.
Pretty hot book. Though it bugged me a little at the beginning how much she emphasized how small Anne was in comparison to Jonah. It made me picture this like 5 foot teenager with this 6'5 man, and that was just a little icky. But then I was finally able to adjust it in my head when they stopped emphasizing it.
I loved the heroine's basis in the legend of the Little Mermaid. I love stories based on fairy tales or legends.
The story was good. I am going to reread it at a later date to re-evaluate whether I like it more or less. I am interested to see if there will be other stories set in this world.

Labels: , ,

4 comments:

Comment by Amy C on 12/29/2008 6:13 PM

I haven't read this one, but I know someone else who has and she has the sequel listed on her blog. It's A Witch's Beauty. I don't know when the release date is, sometime next year.

Comment by Stacy~ on 12/30/2008 9:48 AM

I read a few "interesting" reviews of this book and I'm not sure if it's my thing. Some people really like her stuff though.

Comment by Holly on 12/30/2008 1:05 PM

I liked parts of this book, but a lot of it fell flat for me. I think Hill has a beautiful writing voice but I wasn't captured by the story. It read really slow for me and there were parts I had major issues with (which relate to her being "tiny"). Still, I enjoyed it enough to pick up the second book, which I think is out in the spring of 2009, though I'm not positive.

Stacy,
If you want spoilers, email me. :)

Comment by Chantal on 1/01/2009 12:29 PM

Hmmm, you know, the first few reviews I read for this book I wasn't at all interested in reading it (And I am a Hill fan). However, I am starting to get interested.
My curiosity might win.

Post a Comment