Wizard's Daughter

6/11/2008 05:44:00 PM / Posted by Kris /

Wizard's DaughterWizard's Daughter ( in the Sherbrooke series) by Catherine Coulter
When Ryder Sherbrooke finds a child nearly beaten to death in an alley in Eastbourne, he takes her home to Brandon House. She doesn't speak for six months. Her first words, oddly enough, are a haunting song: I dream of beauty and sightless night I dream of strength and fevered might I dream I'm not alone again But I know of his death and her grievous sin. Ah, and just what does this strange song mean that was seemingly imprinted on the child's brain? She names herself Rosalind de la Fontaine since she cannot remember who she is. In her first season in London in 1835, under the aegis of the Sherbrookes, she meets Nicholas Vail, the 7th Earl of Mountjoy, newly arrived from Macau. It is instant fascination on both their parts, but for different reasons. With Grayson Sherbrooke, they are led to an ancient copy of a mysterious book written by a sixteenth-century wizard. The book is written in a baffling code that neither Grayson nor Nicholas can read. But Rosalind can, easily. Strange things start happening. Both Nicholas and Rosalind know it has to do with the old book and, perhaps, even her past, particularly the song she first sang as a child. The urgency builds as they realize Rosalind is the key to a centuries-old mystery.


This was okay for me. I am sure that there was some that I was missing not having read the other Sherbrooke books, but that is okay. This was more of one of those books for me that passes the time between two other really good books. This was my purse book for the while. I have one of those when i am reading a hardback. I am usually reading more than one books at a time but if I am reading a hard back I always have a paperback that I can stick in my purse as well to read. This was my paperback for while I was reading Blood Noir and From Dead to Worse. The story was lacking in cohesiveness at times I thought. There were some questions I had that were not really answered well or explained well. This was not a horrible book but more of just an "eh", for me.

Labels: , ,

2 comments:

Comment by Bev(QB) on 6/12/2008 11:25 PM

You know, I've read a few of her Sherbrooke books, but damned if I remember which ones! I'm pretty sure I haven't read this one, but when I read the blurbs for most of the others, I genuinely don't remember if I've read them or not!

Hmmm... I'm not quite sure if that's a reflection on CC, the blurb author, or me. Maybe answer D - all of the above?

Comment by Kris on 6/14/2008 7:57 AM

LOL, bev, this is the first one by her that i have read. The only couple that you saw a lot of is the parents but from the way the story went I am sure that they had their own story early in the series and now we are on the second generation.

Post a Comment