City of Bones

4/10/2008 04:49:00 PM / Posted by Kris /

City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments)City of Bones (Mortal Instruments Book 1) by Cassandra Clare

When fifteen-year-old Clary Fray heads out to the Pandemonium Club in New York City, she hardly expects to witness a murder -- much less a murder committed by three teenagers covered with strange tattoos and brandishing bizarre weapons. Clary knows she should call the police, but it's hard to explain a murder when the body disappears into thin air and the murderers are invisible to everyone but Clary. Equally startled by her ability to see them, the murderers explain themselves as Shadowhunters: a secret tribe of warriors dedicated to ridding the earth of demons. Within twenty-four hours, Clary's mother disappears and Clary herself is almost killed by a grotesque demon. But why would demons be interested in ordinary mundanes like Clary and her mother? And how did Clary suddenly get the Sight? The Shadowhunters would like to know....


This was an interesting read. It started out slowly but as I got into it, it picked up. I found the plot to be interesting to follow. This is young adult but I would say an older teen or one who is a very good reader due to certain vocabulary and descriptions. I was thinking as I read this that I never spoke like that when I was a teen. They were words that would have probably known but not used in casual conversation. As an adult I enjoyed it, but as a teen I do not know if I could follow all of it.
I am awaiting the next book from the library, City of Ashes, it was just released last week.

Labels: , ,

2 comments:

Comment by Christine on 4/28/2008 2:22 PM

Hi Kris.
I enjoy reading YA fiction as well. The covers to this and its sequel keep catching my eye. Did it have a happy ending ... or positive closure, at least?

Thanks for the review.

Comment by Unknown on 1/20/2009 5:45 PM

I read this book too... I didn't think it was that great though. It was okay. I can't seem to get around to finishing the sequel though, maybe the story will pick up. I should get to that before March when the third one comes out hehe

Post a Comment